[afgn] Post doc position available in growth control in Arabidopsis

Luise Brand luise.brand at uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Jun 30 15:09:31 CEST 2015

Betreff: 	Post doc position available in growth control in Arabidopsis
Datum: 	Thu, 18 Jun 2015 14:37:32 +0100
Von: 	Mike Bevan <michael.bevan at JIC.AC.UK>
Antwort an: 	Mike Bevan <michael.bevan at JIC.AC.UK>
An: 	ARABUK at JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Postdoctoral Scientist

Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Scientist to work in the group of Professor Mike Bevan at the John Innes Centre (JIC). The project builds on our recent discovery of a novel ubiquitin-mediated regulatory cascade that controls organ and seed size in Arabidopsis. The project is funded by the BBSRC Newton Fund for three years and is part of long-term research collaboration with the IGDB in Beijing.

The successful candidate will join a research team at JIC focussing on the control of Arabidopsis and crop plant growth. The aim of this project is to build on our knowledge of how DA1 peptidase controls organ growth by identifying cellular processes controlled by DA1 and family members that influence organ size, and to understand the cellular basis of DA1 action. Candidates with a special interest in imaging using FRET, protein structure and mass spectrometry, ubiquitin biochemistry and growth control are encouraged to apply. Further details of the project and the work of the group can be found at http://www.jic.ac.uk/staff/michael-bevan/

The successful candidate will have excellent protein biochemistry skills and an interest in using imaging to identify the location and timing of DA1 activity during leaf growth. Experience of protein mass spectrometry, ubiquitin biochemistry and plant genetics would be highly desirable. The post-holder will work on protein expression in E. coli and possibly in other systems, ubiquitylation assays, mass spectrometric screens for protein cleavage, live imaging of organ growth and genetic analyses using Arabidopsis.

The John Innes Centre is a world-class Institute and is looking to appoint an exceptional candidate who has, or expects to soon receive a PhD in biochemistry, molecular biology, plant genetics, or a related discipline. We will be providing the job- holder with opportunities to develop their technical and transferable skills during this assignment, by way of training programmes, coaching and mentoring.

Salary on appointment will be within the range £29,500 to £36,060 per annum depending on qualifications and experience.  This post is for a contract of 36 months.

For further information and details of how to apply, please visit our web site http://jobs.jic.ac.uk or contact Human Resources, Norwich BioScience Institutes Partnership, Norwich Bioscience Institutes, Norwich, NR4 7UH, UK, 01603 450149 quoting reference 1002874. As a user of the of the disability symbol, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum essential criteria for this vacancy.