[Econmaster2012] Research Seminar in Economics, June 23: Julian Schumacher

Frank Stähler frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Jun 22 07:15:14 CEST 2015

Dear all,

The next Research Seminar in Economics will take place tomorrow
afternoon (June 23) at 2.15 pm in room E09 in Mohlstraße 36. Julian
Schumacher from the University of Mainz will do this seminar, and the
title of his talk will be

"Foreign Law Bonds: Can They Reduce Sovereign Borrowing Costs?"

You find an abstract of his paper below.

You find the program and paper links of the RSE under
http://www.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de/forschung0/research-seminars/research-seminar-in-economics.html.

I am looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday afternoon.

Best wishes,
Frank Stähler

Abstract: Governments frequently issue bonds under foreign
jurisdictions. This paper studies the price impact of jurisdiction
choice. We test whether foreign law bonds, which are protected by the
rule of law abroad, trade at a premium vis-à-vis domestic law bonds. We
use the Eurozone 2006-2013 as a unique testing ground, controlling for
currency risk, liquidity risk, and term structure. Foreign law bonds
indeed carry significantly lower yields, but only in countries with high
default risk (CDS spreads beyond 5%). Theseresults indicate that, in
times of crisis, governments can borrow at lower rates under foreign law.

--

Frank Stähler
Professor of Economics
frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de

Coordinator Doctoral Program in Economics (DPE)
http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/de/41162

Adjunct Professor of Economics
School of Economics
The University of Adelaide