[Econmaster2012] Research Seminar in Economics

Frank Stähler frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de
Sun Jan 18 17:28:15 CET 2015

Dear all,

the presenter in Tuesday's Research Seminar in Economics is Miriam
Manchin, who is a Senior Lecturer at University College London. The
title of her talk will be

"Social Networks, Local Amenities, and the Intention to Migrate"

An abstract is enclosed below.

I am looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Udo Kreickemeier

Abstract:
Using a large survey spanning several years and countries, this paper
looks at the determinants of the intention to migrate internationally
and domestically. In particular, after outlining a simple framework, we
empirically analyse the importance of social networks both at the
individual’s current location and abroad. We control for close social
networks with and without remittances and also for broader social
networks both abroad and in the current location, in addition to
controlling for satisfaction with amenities, work related factors,
wealth, and other individual related factors. We find that social
networks are the most important driving forces of both domestic and
international migration intentions. While both broader and closer social
networks abroad act as a pull-factor, close social networks at home
reduce the probability of the intention to migrate for all individuals
except for the highly educated.