[Econmaster2012] Research Seminar in Economics

Frank Stähler frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Feb 2 08:46:43 CET 2015

Dear all,

the presenter in tomorrow's Research Seminar in Economics is Swati
Dhingra, who is a Lecturer in Economics at the London School of
Economics. The title of her talk will be

"Contracting and the Division of the Gains from Trade"

An abstract is enclosed below.

I am looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Udo Kreickemeier

Abstract:

This paper examines the microstructure of import markets and the
divisionof the gains from trade among consumers, importers and
exporters. When exporters and importers transact through anonymous
markets, double marginalization and business stealing among competing
importers lead to lower profits. Trading parties can overcome these
inefficiencies by investing in richer contractual arrangements such as
bilateral contracts that eliminate double marginalization through fixed
fees and joint contracts that internalize business stealing by
maximizing joint profits of the exporter andits competing importers.
Introducing these contractual choices into a trade model with
heterogeneous exporters and importers, we show that trade liberalization
increases the incentive to engage in joint contracts, thusraising the
profits of exporters and importers at the expense of consumer welfare.
We examine the implications of the model for prices, quantities and
exporter-importer matches in Colombian import markets before and after
the US-Colombia free trade agreement. US exporters that started to enjoy
duty-free access were more likely to increase their average import
price, decrease their quantity exported and reduce the number of import
partners.