[Econmaster2012] Fwd: Research Seminar in Economics

Frank Stähler frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Nov 17 09:28:11 CET 2014

FYI:

Dear all,

the presenter in tomorrow's Research Seminar in Economics is Hartmut
Egger, who is Professor of Economics at the University of Bayreuth.
The title of his talk will be

"Offshoring and Firm Overlap"

An abstract is enclosed below.

The schedule for the seminar can be found here:

http://www.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de/forschung0/research-seminars/research-seminar-in-economics.html

The seminar starts at 14.15h in Room E09.

I am looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Udo Kreickemeier

Abstract:

We set up a model of offshoring with heterogeneous producers, in which
firms differ in the mass of tasks they perform and the share of tasks
they can offshore to a low-cost host country. The model captures the
empirical regularity that larger, more productive firms are more likely
to make use of the offshoring opportunity and that only a fraction of
firms of a specific type engages in offshoring. This gives rise of an
overlap of firms, which is type-specific and, in the aggregate,
non-monotonic in the costs of offshoring. In an empirical exercise, we
use firm-level data from Germany to structurally estimate key parameters
of the model. These parameters are then used for counterfactual
analyses, in which we quantify at the role of overlap for welfare and
study the consequences of a reduction in offshoring costs for the extent
of overlap and welfare.

--
Udo Kreickemeier
Professor of Economics