[Econmaster2012] Fwd: Research Seminar in Economics

Frank Stähler frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Nov 3 13:38:46 CET 2014

FYI

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Dear all,

the presenter in tomorrow's Research Seminar in Economics is Gonzague
Vannoorenberghe, who is an Associate Professor of Economics at Tilburg
University.
The title of his talk will be

"Inter-sectoral labor reallocation in the short run"

An abstract is enclosed below.

The schedule for the seminar can be found here:

http://www.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de/forschung0/research-seminars/research-seminar-in-economics.html

A reminder of the new time slot: The seminar starts at 14.15h in Room E09.

I am looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Udo Kreickemeier

Abstract:
The adjustment to changing economic conditions typically requires a
reallocation of labor across sectors. We show that the extent to which
this reallocation can happen in the short-run depends on the
availability of the occupations that an industry needs in the regions
where it is located. Our analysis runs at three levels. First, we
develop a theory-based measure of occupational similarity between
industries and show that the geographic proximity to industries using
similar occupations raises the ability of an industry's employment to
respond to aggregate shocks. Second, using data on the employment growth
of region-industry pairs in the U.S., we confirm empirically that an
industry's employment responds more to nationwide changes in regions
where other industries using similar occupations are located. Third, we
compute an industry-specific
measure of employment sensitivity to economic shocks for the U.S. and
document substantial cross-industry differences, running from a low
sensitivity in agriculture and food services to a high sensitivity in
wholesale trade.