[Econmaster2012] Research Seminar in Economics

Frank Stähler frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Jan 13 18:19:57 CET 2014

Dear all,

The presenter in this week's "Research Seminar in Economics" on Tuesday,
14.01., is Michael Böhm from the University of Bonn.

The title of his talk will be

"The Wage Effects of Job Polarization: Evidence from the Allocation of
Talents"

http://www.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de/forschung0/research-seminars/research-seminar-in-economics.html

The seminar starts at 18.00 h in Room E09, Mohlstr. 36. You can find an
abstract of the paper below.

Everybody is welcome.

Best wishes,

Udo Kreickemeier

Abstract
Over the last decades, the United States and other developed countries
have experienced profound job polarization whereby employment in
high-skill and low-skill occupations increased at the expense of
employment in middle-skill occupations. This paper examines the wage
effects of job polarization: first, have the relative wages of workers
in middle-skill occupations declined as the prevalent demand-side
explanation for job polarization predicts? Second, has the relative
price paid per unit of effective labor in the middle-skill occupations
dropped with polarization? Third, can job polarization explain the
changes in the overall wage distribution over that time period? I answer
these questions by comparing over time two representative cohorts of
young workers in the United States for whom I can consistently measure
relative skills in occupations. My results show that the answer to the
first two questions is yes while the answer to the third question is
partly yes and partly inconclusive.

--
Frank Stähler
Professor of Economics