[Econmaster2012] Research Seminar in Economics

Frank Stähler frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Oct 21 13:28:00 CEST 2013

Dear all,

The presenter in this week's "Research Seminar in Economics" on Tuesday,
22.10., is Holger Breinlich from the University of Essex. The title of
his talk will be

"Cross-Border Price Effects of Mergers and Aquisitions - A Quantitative
Framework for Competition Policy"

http://www.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de/forschung0/research-seminars/research-seminar-in-economics.html

The seminar starts at 18.00 h in Room E09, Mohlstr. 36. You can find an
abstract of the paper below.

Everybody is welcome.

Best wishes,
Udo Kreickemeier

Abstract:
Decisions of national competition authorities have important effects on
other jurisdictions. We provide a framework to quantify the domestic and
cross-border effects of mergers, and to draw conclusions for the
coordination of national merger policies. We develop a two-country model
with many sectors. In each sector, producers vary in terms of their
marginal costs, and are engaged in Cournot competition. We allow for
profitable mergers to take place subject to the non-violation of a given
national competition policy. Because of trade costs and perceived
differences in qualities between domestic and foreign products, mergers
may have different consumer surplus effects in the home and the foreign
country. We calibrate the model using data for the year 2002 for 167
manufacturing sectors in the U.S. and Canada. We choose parameters to
match relevant moments in the data, including industry sales,
concentration ratios and trade flows. We find that in the majority of
industries a merger approval policy based on domestic consumer surplus
is too restrictive from the viewpoint of the neighboring country. We
also show that adopting a supra-national policy that approves a merger
if and only if it increases the sum of consumer surplus in the two
countries would lead to significant gains for U.S. consumers but hurt
consumers in Canada. These results highlight the difficulties in
coordinating national competition policies in a way acceptable to all
participating countries.

--

Frank Stähler
Professor of Economics