[Econmaster2012] CORRECTED DATE: Research Seminar in Economics-Announcement

Johannes Pfeifer johannes.pfeifer at uni-tuebingen.de
Sat Jan 5 10:14:54 CET 2013

Dear All,

we are happy to announce the following Research Seminar in Economics to take
place on Tuesday, January 8th at  18:00 - 19:30 in room E03, ground floor,
Mohlstraße 36.

Presenter:  Sandra Poncet – Paris School of Economics

Title:  " Environmental policy and exports: Evidence from China"

(joint work with Laura Hering)

Abstract:

This paper assesses the effectiveness of environmental regulations in China.

Our identification is based on the environmental policy of the Two Control
Zones

(TCZ), which was implemented by the Chinese government in 1998. The aim

of this policy was to reduce sulfur dioxide (SO2) emissions in targeted
cities

with particularly severe air pollution. We use export data from 265 Chinese

cities among which 158 were targeted by this policy, and exploit variations
over

time, sector and firm type to establish the causal effect of this policy on
exports.

Our results are robust to using an instrumental variable approach. Tougher
en-

vironmental regulations lead to the reallocation of export activities away
from

energy-intensive sectors. In line with a suspicion of differences in policy
enforce-

ment according to the political pecking order of firms, the TCZ policy is
found

to have a greater impact the lower the firm's political status.

Regards,

Prof. Dr. Johannes Pfeifer

--

Johannes Pfeifer