[afgn] PlantACT! 2024 Conference: Spearheading Plant Science Solutions for Climate Crisis, March 10-13, 2024, Duesseldorf, Germany

hoenl hoenl at hhu.de
Thu Feb 8 17:51:15 CET 2024

PlantACT! Conference 10-13 March 2024, Duesseldorf, Germany

As the scientific community grapples with the escalating challenges posed by climate change, a concerning projection emerges: by the century’s end, we face a potential temperature increase of 3.5°C. This alarming trend portends catastrophic consequences, particularly in the realm of agriculture. Each degree Celsius increase correlates with an approximate 10% reduction in crop yields. Should this trajectory persist, we anticipate losing a staggering one-third of our food and feed production by 2100.

Agriculture stands at a complex crossroads, being both a significant contributor to greenhouse gas emissions and a victim of climate change impacts. Consequently, plant science solutions are not merely relevant; they are central to addressing this multifaceted challenge. Yet, the global community lacks a cohesive strategy to tackle this pressing issue effectively.

In response to this critical gap, several esteemed members of the scientific community have collaborated to establish the PlantACT! initiative. This groundbreaking effort aims to unite leading plant experts to formulate realistic, actionable solutions and recommendations. We acknowledge the enormity of the challenge at hand and recognize that the field of plant science alone may not suffice to navigate such complexities. However, it is imperative to initiate action, and leveraging our expertise in plant biology provides a foundational starting point. Our goal is to generate innovative ideas and solutions, which can subsequently be refined and validated through interdisciplinary collaboration.

To solidify and expand upon the strategic plan recently developed and published by PlantACT!, we are excited to announce the inaugural PlantACT! conference. This event is scheduled for 10-13 March 2024 in Düsseldorf and promises to be a pivotal gathering for forward-thinking discourse and collaboration.

Join us in this vital endeavor as we strive to shape a sustainable future through the lens of plant science. Your contribution could be pivotal in steering our collective efforts towards impactful and enduring solutions to the climate crisis.

Further info, program and registration: https://www.plant-act.org/2023/11/21/plantact-conference-10-13-march-2024-duesseldorf-germany/

Deadline for registration and abstract submission: Feb 16, 2024

CEPLAS Central Office
Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf
Cluster of Excellence CEPLAS
Building 22.07, level 01, room 30